In celebration of Spongebob’s 10th birthday yesterday, here is the recipe for Krabby Patty as revealed by the good people at Nick.com themselves. Before you bust out the grilling pan, please read about the side effects of eating a Krabby Patty below:
The Krabby Patty has a dangerous and unfortunate side effect. When way too many Krabby Patties are eaten at one time, all the fat, starch and other undersea ingredients would go to the consumer’s thighs and this causes them to soon explode. This happened to Squidward Tentacles in “Just One Bite” when he broke into the Patty Vault and ate too many Krabby Patties at once. Fortunately Squidward was only reduced to a living head and survived the explosion.
However, if one does not have a Krabby Patty after an extensive period, he/she will suffer from Krabby Patty Withdrawal. If one does not eat a Krabby Patty during the withdrawal, he/she will whine about it for a few minutes.
KRABBY PATTY RECIPE
2 tbsp. finely chopped onion
2 tbsp. finely chopped celery
4-6 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. thyme
1 lb. frozen imitation crabmeat, (defrosted and finely chopped in a food processor)
3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 tbsp. mayonnaise (plus 1 cup for dipping sauce)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
A pinch of salt and pepper (to taste)
3 tbsp. ketchup (for dipping sauce)
1 cup of love
- Sauté the onions and celery in 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add the thyme, lower the heat, and cook until the onions are translucent.
- In a large bowl combine the crabmeat, sautéed onions and celery, bread crumbs, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, egg, salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Shape into rounds by using a small ice cream scoop, then gently pat flat.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large skillet. Working in batches (2 to 3 crab cakes at a time) place the crab cakes in a skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. You may need to add more oil for the second and third batches.
- Preheat the oven to 298°F. Transfer the crab cakes to the baking pan and bake for 10 minutes. The crab cakes can be kept in a warm oven for approximately 30 minutes, or they may be reheated at serving time. Serve with a kid-friendly dipping sauce. Mix 1 cup of mayonnaise with 3 tablespoons of ketchup.